Monday, May 21, 2007

Public in a private setting

In lieu of actually finishing and submitting my senior thesis, I've opted to sink back into the blog that was initially going to be a temporary, finite project for another class. But with my grade firmly settled in place, I'm still drawn to the subject so bear with me, diligent and non-existant readership. Seeing as how my GPA no longer relies on my words, the spelling errors will probably triple and I can finally practive ryping with my euyes clsoed.

Anyway, the very notion of a "blogosphere" is something my pseudo-luddite sensibility had trouble grasping. On my mind a lot lately has been this sort of whimpering death of public life as it finds itself supplanted by the WWW, social networking sites, Craigslist casual encounters, MySpace and a whole slew of other jargon-y terms that I am at once totally adept with and again incredibly naive towards. But then I started considering it in terms of creating publics that are instantly accessible based on a set of criteria that is much more individual and self-centric. This idea of selective exposure is really fascinating and will likely result in a huge upheaval in the way advertising and information are dispersed. But in the same vein is public art and what exactly is considered public. With the increased popularity of sites like Flickr, Vimeo, YouTube, Etsy and other venues to exchange media, the Internet is fast becoming the go-to for art and design. I like that, actually. The potential for independence in consumption is substantial. I can only wonder what sort of futuristic world experiences e-graffiti.

No comments: